From the minute que sat next to him in a room of the Four Season Hotel in LA, Rob is clear about the following things, and he doesn’t have to say them out loud. It’s obvious that he doesn’t let the latest fashion trends run his life, which all seem to come from the stylists Hollywood loves. He doesn’t allow control from any publicist. For that we thank him. He knows we know, even if we don’t mention it.
This actor from London makes us forgt that he just turned 25, and that the media has turned him into the latest Hollywood heartthrob thanks to Twilight.
He arrives to our interview wearing a dark blue t-shirt, which is now faded from washing it too much perhaps, a sports navy blue jacket, yellow trousers and black Converse shoes. A hip look, but above all, simple. All pieces seem to come from his own closet. His attitude fits in with his style; simple, nice. He seems laid back when he talks about his career and his sudden fame; he laughs it off.
What’s most interesting is not his baby blue eyes, nor his obvious beauty, but a haircut for his movie Cosmopolis
We thought you where done filming Cosmopolis?
Yes, but I’m keeping the hair (laughs).
Why are you wearing your hair like that in the movie?
- I can’t explain it. It’s such a strange story. Luckily people will find it interesting.
You filmed the last two movies a the same time like Harry Potter did, and they’re also being split into two, what did you think about filming the movie and closing such an important chapter in your life?
- I don’t know because I’ve never stopped making other films besides Twilight. I want to keep the mentality of being busy all the time. It’s not the only thing I’ve done this whole time, and now it’s over. These movies have been mostly just work for me. Having a different director in each film has helped, because I’ve had to adapt to a different way of working.
Has it been easier to play Edward as time passed by?
- In a way it’s been harder because of the nature of the character, who is a vampire. That limits what you can do. You can’t sleep, you can’t eat, everyday is long. You live 100 years and you can’t relate to people, you can’t have an impulse or desire. The danger is to keep repeating yourself after awhile after playing the same character for 5 movies. You have to come up with new things to add. The great thing is that Bill Condon, everytime I was doing a scene and he felt like I was doing the same thing again, he would suggest me to change it and try something else. It wasn’t scary even if we had to do something that was not in the book.
- Everybody is talking about the sex scenes…
- The book is a great example on how to keep something censored, and at the same time erotic. It plays with people’s imagination. The sex scene is completely on the fans’ minds.But in a way it’s hard because when you do the scene, you need to show things, and not fade to black, or people would go nuts. It’s weird filming something people have been expecting for such a long time, knowing the expectations. I hope we do justice to it.
Your character and Kristen’s shared so many romantic times during the filming, especially the last day of filming.
- The last day of filming in Saint Thomas was great. It was just Kristen and I. The only time we were able to film with a nice weather. It was literally the last day of filming, and we were filming a scene in which we’re kissing in the ocean, all night. So it wasn’t a bad way to say goodbye. Then everybody stayed to watch the sunrise. It was beautiful.
Can you share something about Kristen?
- The only thing she likes to watch on TV is the cooking channel, especially when she’s on set. She has her TV on all the time in her make up trailer. That’s her only diva behavior (laughs); the cooking channel must always be on, any time, everywhere.
Do you have a favorite scene in this movie?
- The birth scene is so different from the entire saga. It’s so harcore and gory, at least when we were filming it. There’s not way to tame it in the book. That was brave.
What was it like playing a dad? Was it hard?
- Not at first. You’re holding a baby, which is not easy to do, but nobody knows how to be a father at first. You can’t prepare for it. It was weird whn Mackenzie Foy had to play my daughter because you start to think: “My daughter is now 11. It’s been two months that she’s been born and now she can talk.” It was complicated to play. But it’s a fantasy movie, so you have to believe it.
Continue reading over at Twilight Poison