Everytime I interview Kristen I’m surprised at how beautiful she is. Perfect skin, not a drop of make up. She’s wearing jeans, a grey shirt, sneakers, definitely the same Kristen, but much more comfortable than three years ago when I first interviewed her for Twilight, where she was very nervous, fidgeting on her seat.
You character goes through a lot in this movie. She gets married, she has sex, she has a baby, she becomes a vampire…
- I know, that why they had to split the movie in two (laughs).
What was the most difficult part of filming this movie?
- It’s a moment that I’ve been waiting for so long. Every single thing that happened in the previous movies was amplified this time, because of all the pressure and the people waiting fo the movie, and especially because these are very iconic moments in the saga, and we need to make justice to them, which is a little terrifying, but you need to feel that way, you need to be afraid because fear gives you the strength to carry on important tasks.
What can fans expect this time?
- Personally, I love the beginning because it’s the first time you meet Edward and Bella, and they’re having fun, everything is so light and happy at first, but now she has to deal with different issues because she’s married, they now have problems with each other, and one of them is she’s having this baby, and he wants to kill the baby/fetus (laughs). And for the first time, the perspective changes to Jacob’s, and nobody else’s.
How did you prepare for the movie?
- I did the same thing I always do, basically. In the books Stephenie gives a very visceral description of events, and she was on the set all the time, which was great, because only she knows these characters so well.I just took the best of the book and tried to play it.
What was your favorite part?
- The wedding, because everybody was waiting to film it, and part of it felt very real, so it was very emotional.
What can you share about the sex scene?
- Oh, God! The sex was a big deal. There’s so many things going on: the wedding, the first time and giving birth. The sex scene was filmed almost right at the beginning of filming, so that part was over quickly, thank God.
Right at the beginning of filming?
- Yes, it was one of the first scenes we did, we shot the two movies at the same time, so I can only talk about the first movie, but we had to show how vampires have sex differently, and then we shot the first time they have sex as vampires, and that’s a huge deal too. The funny thing is that there’s no description in the book, so we could improvise.
As an actor, was it difficult to shoot these scenes with Rob?
- Yes, filming these scenes was weird. In the end I didn’t feel like we had filmed a sex scene, because we were both so uncomfortable and insecure, and because it’s something very subjective. There’s times when there’s weird close ups, and everybody has such high expectations for these scenes.
So giving birth was easy in comparison, right?
- Oh, it was just as hard. Those three things: wedding, sex, baby, were very hard.
The saga ends next year, what are you going to miss the most?
- It might sound silly to say everything, but it’s the truth. The entire experience, working with Taylor and Rob, I won’t be filming scenes with them anymore, and that’s so weird because we’ve spent so much time doing this. And at the same time, it’s over, there’s nothing more to do, and that’s okay.
What was it like working with Bill Condon?
- He’s a director that likes to get involved, and he’s also a writer, so he can adapt things in the moment. Something very cool is that before everything used to be so strict ‘This is how it’s in the book, this is how it’s going to be in the film,’ but sometimes things don’t look as good onscreen as they do in paper, so Bill was very daring in interpreting some things differently.
We need to talk about the most important part in this movie, the sex scene, what was that like for you?
- The sex scene is never described in the book, so every single person who read it had their own idea in their mind. The entire time we were filming it we thought ‘We have to make this look spectacular to everyone,’ and we were thinking on how to meet people’s expectations. But you also worry about how you’re going to look, I had never been so worried about that before, but after seeing how much Taylor works out for the movies, I thought ‘Well, everybody is really going to judge me now,’ (laughs loudly). I always tried to think about positions where where I could tense the muscles, and suck in my belly… Ok, I think I just gave the most vain answer I could come up with.
So, you were worried about taking your shirt off?
- Well, yeah. Especially because in this saga the body of the characters seems to be a big deal. So in this movie I thought, ‘OK, it’s the last one, I’m getting a six pack,’ and I tried, but it’s VERY hard. I worked out so hard for 6 months, so after filming the sex scene the first thing I thought was ‘Time to eat!’.
How has Kristen evolved all these years as an actress?
- Well, she became an adult. She was 17 when we started, she’s 21 now. Her personality has changed a lot. As an actress, she’s always been very confident, that’s why I laugh when people say she’s shy. She’s not shy at all (laughs).
Read the rest here!