COPIED AND PASTED
Girls strip off for him, fans mob his set, but the sweet little star of Twilight, and the world's most wanted man, still struggles with his sex scenes
While Pattinson was filming Remember Me, 3,500 fans turned up and 'went completely mental'
Would I like to interview Robert Pattinson, the world’s hottest young actor? Yes, obviously — although getting close to the boy who plays the “devastatingly, inhumanly beautiful” vampire Edward Cullen in Twilight at first seems virtually impossible. Penned away in the Dorchester, like a rare Siberian tiger cub — he can’t stay at home in Barnes when he comes back from LA because the fans know where he lives — he is being firmly guarded by a brace of film execs when I arrive for the interview.
A spiky PR woman for his new film, Remember Me — a romantic drama memorable mainly for the fact that it has Pattinson in it and is not a Twilight film — loudly repeats instructions that there are to be “no personal questions”. A Spanish reporter returns from the interview room claiming that when she asked him if he liked cooking, she nearly got thrown out. Another, a Brazilian, reveals that, in fact, he did get thrown out of an interview with Pattinson’s Twilight co-star and rumoured girlfriend, Kristen Stewart, back in Sao Paulo, for asking about boyfriends. “Her bodyguard asked me to leave,” he shrieks. “I said nao! And then he tosched me on the shoulder, and I said, ‘Okay, I go.’”
“Like, who the ferque is this diva?” says someone else, and by the time I am ushered next door to meet him, I’m thinking the same. But as soon as I clap eyes on him, and take in that kittenish smile, the tousled, leonine eyebrows and — of course — the lush whip of unwashed hair, all that instantly vanishes. Pattinson is calm, polite and pleasant: heaven on a stick.
Swigging nonchalantly from a large bottle of Hildon like Stoli at a Facebook house party, he is also utterly oblivious to the commotion outside. And as for being a diva, well, let’s just say his agent, a jaded LA type who sits in the room with him, is far from impressed with his attempts so far, rolling his eyes when Pattinson asks: “Nick, am I a diva?” The actor furrows his brow. “I mean, I had a very diva-ish conversation with some people about some stuff in this film about a day ago...” Nick sighs and drawls: “He just said what he thought in a script meeting. Please don’t use that as an example.”
Robert Pattinson: trapped in the Twilight zone
Twilight star finds fame hard to digest
“But I was very... bold,” protests Pattinson. Of course, that is exactly what he isn’t, because ever since his first knicker-melting appearance in Twilight, Pattinson, 23, has become a byword for shy hotness. Formerly a public-school hoodie from southwest London with a bit part in Harry Potter, he now commands £8m a movie and is such a huge lust object that he is unable to go anywhere unattended. During the filming of Remember Me, “3,500 people turned up and went completely mental”, he says. He is constantly asked for kisses and autographs, and recently, when he joked that the best way to get his attention was to take your clothes off, to his horror one girl in the audience promptly did so. Does he find the attention irritating? He shrugs. “I guess it’s part of your reality,” he says, before admitting he’s a “little bit harder to deal with” now. “I get stressed out much quicker.”
Then again, being beautiful “is quite hard”, even though he insists that 50% of people don’t get his appeal: “They’re like, what’s that all about?” Certainly, today, he is trying his best not to be beautiful, in a greasy cap and sweats. Only his eyebrows seem manicured, although he insists they aren’t. He had them plucked on the first Twilight film, but “you get to the point where you think, ‘Okay, I look like a transvestite now’”. Not that the girls — Twilight’s obsessed fans are called Twiharders, and a documentary, Robsessed, has been made about them — were put off.
Over the past 18 months, the actor has been linked to countless models and actresses, and recently appeared to confirm the rumours that he was dating Stewart, but then mysteriously claimed that he was “allergic to vagina”. Er, what was that about? Is he dating Stewart then? Or is he, in fact, gay? I heard his two older sisters used to dress him up and call him Claudia when he was a boy.
Actually, he’s “straight”, he says. He found the male-on-male sex scenes he had to perform in a film, Little Ashes, last year “strange. I played Salvador Dali. We were both straight, but he was Spanish, so much more confident about being naked and stuff, although when it comes down to it, it’s just as awkward with a girl, especially if you are straight and with a girl you don’t like... Anyway, Javier was really cool. After we had been pretending to have sex on this balcony in Barcelona, he was like, ‘We have such a strange job...’”
Poor Pattinson! Eyeing the bed in his suite, I dare a question about those sex scenes with girls. He famously had to pop a Valium to get through the audition for Twilight, in which he needed to make out on a bed with Stewart. For the love scenes in Remember Me, his co-star Emilie de Ravin “was very, very, very comfortable”, he sighs. “I’m always the one who’s the most uncomfortable. So we came into the room, and they said ‘It’s a closed set,’ blah, blah, and we got on to the bed and the director was like, ‘I got you these things, if just maybe you wanted to use them. You don’t have to use them, maybe it will make you more comfortable.’ They were these bondage things: lube and handcuffs and porn videos. It was so funny!
"And when you end up doing it, you have this little patch on your privates. I didn’t really tape it up properly, so I’d spent so long taping it round myself and then literally it falls off within one second and it’s taped to the sheet. And you realise the whole crew are looking directly at your butt crack.” He blanches. “I can’t think of anything exciting for them about this. It gives you a lot of respect for porn stars.”
I decide to dive in and ask him about Stewart. Does he believe in love at first sight? “Yes,” he says. Has he... ever been in love? “Ah, yes, I think so.” “What’s...” Nick looks up from his BlackBerry. “Let’s keep to the film,” he snaps. Pattinson looks embarrassed, but the moment has passed, and I am to leave. He gets up and gives me a kiss on the cheek: light and soft and not at all unfresh. I read somewhere one girl’s parents paid £20,000 in a charity auction for one of those.
Remember Me is released on April 2
Follow us on Twitter
- ► 2014 (932)
- ► 2013 (2375)
- ► 2012 (4370)
- ► 2011 (7693)
- E! News Now: Sink Your Teeth Into "Eclipse"
- PopSugarUK Interviews Robert & Emilie About co-sta...
- New The Runaways Stills – Kristen & Dakota
- Robert Pattinson Filming Bel Ami with Kristin Scot...
- The Evolution of Robert Pattinson
- Official Synopsis of Eclipse Released by Summit En...
- 3 Brand New Eclipse Stills!
- UK Remember Me Press Conference – Absolute Radio C...
- iTunes Exclusive Interview with Kristen & Dakota
- Robert Pattinson: I’m Picky About Roles
- Kristen Stewart’s Sexy Style in Us Weekly
- Robert Pattinson Filming Bel Ami from Monday
- Hungarian Tv talks about Robert & Bel Ami
- Vote for Your Favorite Stars at the 2010 MTV Movie...
- La Provincia Interviews Robert Pattinson
- (New Photos) Robert Pattinson Bel Ami Set – March ...
- New Robert Pattinson in Japan- From NM dvd part 1&...
- New Press Junket Video of Kristen & Dakota talking...
- Showing Robert Filming + Bel Ami Set
- Robert filming a scene with Kristin Scott Thomas f...
- Robert Pattinson on the set of ‘Bel Ami’
- Eclipse Stills
- Robsten....Amazing chemistry
- 2010 MTV Movie Awards – Vote for Rob, New Moon & R...
- Robert on the set of ‘Bel Ami’
- Rob on set for Bel Ami (March 29th)
- Full Robert Pattinson GMTV Interview
- Robsten from NM to Eclipse - On Sets and Promo Tou...
- Rob & Kristen talk Twilight Saga.
- Fans Mob Pattinson Wax Statue
- ‘Remember Me’ Press Conference – Part 1 & 2
- 2 New Kristen & Dakota Interviews
- 5 New The Runaways Stills
- Pierce Brosnan talks about Robert Pattinson on the...
- More New The Runaways Stills Untagged!
- New The Runaways Photos!
- Rob talks about Remember Me & Accents With T4
- Bobby Long speaks about Robert Pattinson With Lime...
- Emilie de Ravin talks to Screenrush about Robert &...
- Remember Me International Box Office Update
- Robert Pattinson Behind the Scenes of Remember Me ...
- More of Robert Pattinson’s Interview with Fantasti...
- Robert Pattinson’s NEW MOON Extended Scene: Edward...
- Robert Pattinson, Kristen Stewart: NEW MOON Extend...
- Kristen Stewart, Robert Pattinson’s Apparition in ...
- EXCLUSIVE interview with musician Lee Safar
- ROB & KRISTEN | art of love
- ROBSTEN | life imitating art?
- Pattinson Will Take a Pub Over A Premiere
- Robert talks about Remember Me, Bel Ami & Sex Scen...
- Kristen Stewart not worried about what her parents...
- Robert Interview With 20 Minuten Online
- Fans taking photos with Robert’s Wax Figure in NYC...
- Photos of Robert’s Wax Figure (HQ & MQ)
- Robert Pattinson In Japan from ‘New Moon’ Japan DV...
- Remember Me” Nears $20M Mark Worldwide!
- Emilie de Ravin in UK's Cosmopolitan - What It's L...
- Robert Pattinson’s Wax Figure
- Made in Hollywood: Kristen, Dakota & Michael Shann...
- Robert Pattinson’s Full Wax Figure
- Kristen Stewart in Beverly Hills Today
- New Moon DVD Extra – Team Edward/Team Jacob
- Vintage Robert Pattinson on the Daily 10
- Hot Topics Interviews ‘Remember Me’ Cast
- 4 million copies of New Moon DVD sold over weekend...
- Eclipse Screencaps
- Eclipse Poster
- Elizabeth Reaser “Knew Robert Pattinson Was Edward...
- 10 Stylish Kristen Stewart and Robert Pattinson Mo...
- Tv Guide Interviews Kristen & Dakota + Robert Give...
- The Runaways red Carpet Interviews
- AUDIO: RichardCrouse's interview with Rob NYC pre...
- Will audiences ever want to see the 'Twilight' sta...
- Rob talks pressure of delivering a hit after Twili...
- Kristen Stewart & Dakota Fanning’s ‘Runaways’ Tour...
- Kristen & Dakota Promoting ‘The Runaways’ Tour Dia...
- Kristen Stewart Picks Favorite Band at SXSW
- The 50 Most Stylish Leading Men of the Past Half C...
- Chris Cooper talks about Rob
- Kristen & Dakota Elle.com Interview
- Robsten Kiss me
- Robsten/ Because of You
- The Crew Surprises Rob on his Birthday – ‘New Moon...
- Robert Pattinson interview- 'Twilight' star wants ...
- Robert Pattinson is the yummiest flavor of the sea...
- New Moon Behind the scenes screencaps
- The Robsession with Robert Pattinson
- Kristen Stewart at Austin Screening of ‘The Runawa...
- More Behind the Scenes New Moon
- 4 Second Video of Rob screwing up the scene in the...
- Full ‘Eclipse’ Sneak Peek!
- Robert & Kristen Behind the Scenes ‘New Moon’ DVD
- 3 Deleted Scenes New Moon DVD
- Filming the 'Happy Birthday' Scene in School Parki...
- Robert/Kristen filming dirt bike scene
- Eclipse Sneak Peak Scene
- New Moon Cast greets Fans
- The Runaways Director Shows On-The-Set Photos In M...
- ABC Interviews Kristen & Dakota – The Runaways
- New New Moon Extended scene
- New Moon Deleted scene!
- The Runaways After Party at Swagg Cafe
- VIDEO: Kristen Stewart talks The Runaways at SXSW
- PICS from SXSW Film Festival: The Runaways
- New Vanity Fair interview with Kristen Stewart (fr...
- NY1 Movie Interview From the ‘Remember Me’ Press J...
- (Video) The Telegraph talk about Robert Pattinson ...
- New Stills from ‘The Runaways’
- (New Video) Kristen Stewart from SXSW talks about ...
- (Video) ET Interviews Kristen & Dakota talk about ...
- New New Moon Extended Parts 1-4
- Kristen Stewart Talks Breaking Dawn
- Robsten-I love you
- Robsten...it´s true love!
- Remember Me UK Premier: Robert pattinson NEW INTER...
- Remember Me UK Premier: Robert pattinson Pics and ...
- Robsten - Do you remember
- Kristen Stewart on the Jimmy Fallon Show
- Kristen Stewart on the Regis and Kelly Show
- Shooting In Italy behind the scens
- Behind the Scenes with Kristen Stewart
- New: New Moon scene from DVD — Edward driving Bel...
- Our Robsten Dreams: Believe again Video
- 'New Moon' To Receive Fan Choice Award At ShoWest
- Because We Love Kristen Stewart
- New New Moon Fottage
- New New Moon Tv Spots
- First Look At Eclipse
- Welcome To Our Robsten Dreams Blog:)
- ▼ March (129)
Powered by Blogger.